Youtube video Ads seem to never end

A couple of months ago I got a new macbook pro 10.14.4 Mojave, and I wasn’t sure which ad blocker to get. The reviews for AdBlock Plus seemed dismal for the new macs, so I didn’t get my old standby. I spent a lot of time researching ad blockers, and finally decided to go with Better. There are technical things talked about in this forum (like error messages in the console) which I don’t fully understand. I’m a “casual user”. Anyway, as I understand it, Better only works as a Safari extension? (I also have Mozilla, but currently have no blocking extensions on that). When using Safari I have noticed that the popup rectangular window ads on youtube have mostly diminished, but aren’t entirely gone. The obnoxious grammarly and other video ads are not blocked. The extension is active (I checked preferences). So, is Better able to block the video ads on youtube? Thank you.

I wanted to upload a screen grab of the ad, but I can’t yet.

Hi Nico,
as for Mozilla I can suggest to use the uBlock Origin from github.com for blocking adds and Privacy Badger from eff.org to block the trackers.
The newest versions of Mozilla has some addblock implemented, you have to look in settings how to activate the feature. Possibly that you don’t have to use uBlock Origin if the Mozilla built in features are fine for you.
To remove the youtube advertising hmmm, I think that such tool was not invented yet, I think…
P.S. I use KA-Block, an advertisement blocker (available for macOS and iOS) and seems that there are no conflicts with the tracking blocker Better. The problem is that the last lists are 1/2 year old, maybe the guys give the support up?

Yes. This is because we use Safari’s content blocking functionality, which allows us to send blocking rules to the browser without you having to trust us with your browsing traffic (so this protects your privacy.) If you want to use our blocking rules with Firefox, you can use our blocking rules for free with uBlock origin. We’ve got a specially-formatted list you can download before (it gets automatically updated every time we release new rules):

https://better.fyi/blockerList.txt

We can block some of the overlay ads, but not the video ads. This is because YouTube tries to prevent this kind of blocking, and because of how they load in the ads. Some “ad blockers” can sometimes block these ads because they have script access, which enables them to change YouTube’s scripts to block the ads. However, this kind of access is also a threat to your privacy and security (they can make changes to any script that loads) so you should be very wary of any extension that has script access.

If, in the future, we find a way to block these video ads, we will. They’re targeted ads based on profiling, and this is invasive of your privacy.

Hope this answers your question, please let me know if you have any more!

1 Like