Study finds a potential risk with self-driving cars: failure to detect

“The list of concerns about self-driving cars just got longer.

In addition to worrying about how safe they are, how they’d handle tricky moral trade-offs on the road, and how they might make traffic worse, we also need to worry about how they could harm people of color.

If you’re a person with dark skin, you may be more likely than your white friends to get hit by a self-driving car, according to a new study out of the Georgia Institute of Technology. That’s because automated vehicles may be better at detecting pedestrians with lighter skin tones.”

Racists software or software developer? Just joking!

More interesting will be how the question of legal responsability at level 5 of car autonomy will be solved. Who will be responsible in case of an accident? Level 5 is a car WITHOUT driver, level 4 is already experimentally achieved.

And the same isn’t true for human drivers?

Not only this, self driving cars will not see small children on a bicycle, cyclists, scooters and cargobikes either. This innovation is hugely overestimated. It probably will work at wide lanes with uniform traffic like in the US. Not in Amsterdam for example, with its narrow streets and all kinds of vehicles.
Besides that: this whole detecting system is too much for me.

Recently I saw a documentary about AI where selfdriving cars was one of the subjects. Some developers/entrepeneurs/investors from Silicon Valley were talking with a shining glow at their face, like they were believing in something heavenly without any doubting. I have also seen and heard Google people talking like this.

And what strikes me most is, that they totally bypass democratic institutions. They simply say: ‘This is going to happen. This is the future. We are getting this and that.’ Untill now many people fall in this trap by believing their stories. And so their profit machines keep working,