Relay42

I apologise in advance if this is not the right place to make this post, but I have identified a tracker that Better does not seem to block.

The company is called Relay42 and uses r42tag.com and svtrd.com to serve tracking scripts and pixels. It seems to be a Dutch company, and I’ve encountered it on several Dutch sites now (e.g. klm.com, ns.nl).

You might want to consider this blocker, since Relay42’s website reveals their “services” are offered to quite a lot of big Dutch companies and their websites.

Hi @Robyn. Here is great, thank you!

I’ll run an inspection on those sites tomorrow and see if I can catch those trackers. Thanks for the report.

Hi @Robyn. Just updating you while I’m working on this. I’ve managed to broadly block r42tag.com, however I have to let it through on ns.nl, as otherwise the content at the top of the page is completely blocked :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

It’s likely that Relay42 manages the conditional loading of content (for A/B tests and the like) so please let me know if you’re seeing blocked content on other sites. I may have to rethink how I block their scripts.

I should have these rules out by the end of the weekend.

Thank you @Laura for the update. I have done some testing myself by visiting the sites of companies listed on Relay42’s website, and indeed, ns.nl seems to be problematic. Unless you find some other way to block it on ns.nl, perhaps blocking the cookies set by their scripts might help.

In the process, I’ve found another domain in use by them (based on their old company name), synovite-scripts.com, serving tracking scripts (on neckermann.nl). Blocking their other domain, svtrd.com, is not problematic on any website.

On a slightly different note, would it be helpful if I run down a number of Dutch top sites and report what Better seems to miss (I guess mainly some regional trackers like Relay42)? I can do some preliminary testing by blocking domains and see if things break or not, and report this in a separate thread. In any case, I just want to help make Better even better.

The release is out now, (with r42tag.com blocked) so please let me know how it works for you!

That’s very kind of you, thank you! Really, all you need to do is let me know the sites that problematic. I can use our Inspector (clever script that @aral wrote) to check out all the third-party tracking, and see what needs to be blocked.

Only issue I have found so far is on ziggo.nl (the rule prevents downloading documents after logging in), so I suggest to add an exception for that site.

That inspector is really handy and a time saver I can imagine. I posted a survey of sites and potential trackers in another thread, so you can decide what to run the inspector on.