Privacy Policy - nothing is private

So I’ve just checked out the Privacy Policy:
https://forum.ind.ie/privacy

I have numerous issues with it…

1. you store my ip address with every request?! YAY PRIVACY

2. and you’ll store it for 5 years! YAY PRIVACY

3. YAY for third parties!

We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information. This does not include trusted third parties who assist us in operating our site, conducting our business, or servicing you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others rights, property, or safety.

1. YAY FOR ADVERTISERS

However, non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.

Come on guys, you are aiming to create a privacy focussed phone, yet I have no privacy on such a simple forum… Are you f**king kidding me.

Aral, Laura & Jo (oh and Oskar), I’m sure you are lovely people, but please get the basics right. As @raina has said a few times, not only is your software not inclusive, but it’s not even private.

Now, as I’m sure you’ll agree so far I’m just offering problems not offering solutions, so that’s not helpful to anyone. Please check your own privacy policy, amend it, and also modify discourse not to log my ip address. Will you also be selling my data to advertisers? I hope not, then say it!

"Script" from discourse-cdn-sjc1.com

Oh and also, I thought freedom of speech was a major foundation of ind.ie (maybe I’m wrong). But your ToS is also pretty weak… so you can just delete anything you want? Whenever you want? Why? That’s not exactly freedom of speech now is it.

Hey James, the privacy policy is Discourse’s standard policy. It applies to the forum, which is hosted by them. Unfortunately, we do not have the resources to host it ourselves at the moment.

Ind.ie’s own privacy policy, for the rest of the site, is here: https://ind.ie/about/privacy/

I understand if you do not find the Discourse privacy policy acceptable. If so, please do not use the forums as there’s nothing we can do about it. It’s a pragmatic compromise at the moment. (Also, please avoid the Syncthing forums, they use Discourse also.)

Once Heartbeat is more mature, we should be able to move the discussion over there.

Regarding the TOS, yes, we can delete whatever we want. This is our home and these forums exist to enable people in the community who want to help us in our social mission to contribute constructively. It’s not a general forum to discuss life’s mysteries or a speaker’s corner. Freedom of speech is your freedom to speak freely, it is not a freedom to be heard or a freedom to compel anyone else to listen. In fact, such a thing would not be a freedom, it would be abuse.

This forum exists for a specific purpose and discourse on it will be kept on topic.

Not hosted by them though, and my privacy policy is rather simpler. :wink:

Although worse by some criteria as I use Google Analytics. Rock, hard place, etc.

:heart:

(That strip is essentially my ToS…)

Aral’s Diary — Tuesday, 28th July, 2015

regarding TOS: so am i right in saying that this is your walled garden and you’d like to keep it that way?

regarding privacy: sounds like going self hosted would be a good step towards this

re: syncthing or any other discourse user, i’m confused why they were thrown under the bus incorrectly so quickly?

If I delete my account does this post disappear too? As I feel other privacy conscious people should understand what they are signing up for

Once heartbeat is up and running, if it’s as privacy aware as it claims to be i certainly hope I won’t be looking to delete my account as soon as this.

I guess this is where indie tech wins, you don’t have to rely on any third parties, as when you’ve made it all yourself, you’ll know the exact behind the scenes

Welcome, by the way, Jakob!

Looking forward to showing you Heartbeat :slight_smile:

Not because you’ve made it yourself, but because it is easy enough for you to own the tech and data and your own network even if you don’t have the technical ability to make it yourself. That’s the key aspect of indie tech.

(And yes, it solves this problem to the extent you can easily have your own network of people to interact with privately. It doesn’t solve the problem in that it still doesn’t compel anyone else to listen — that’s not a problem to begin with.)