Off FB for like 3 years

Thank goodness for Aral’s speeches and presentations. I’ve been off almost all social media (with exception of Instagram). I used to be a social media consultant, so I used to literally be on it 24/7. I don’t go on Instagram very much. I only post photos of my car and then I’m off. Life without social media is great. Instead of FOMO (fear of missing out), I have JOMO (joy of missing out). I don’t even give a rat’s ass about the new iPhone coming out. I don’t care about ANY of that crap. I minimalized my stuff…got rid of/donated about 85% of my clothing. Eating better. Excercizing and not giving a F$@k about posting my stupid workout to get compliments from strangers and stalkers. I’m in this life for myself; we all are. Every life is important and what we do with our fleeting time is our own. No need for big brother to get even bigger. That’s all I have to say. Just wanted to say thank you Aral and Laura and crew.

:heart: That is so good to hear!

It sounds like you’re living a life to aspire to. I’m definitely less social-media-focused than I used to be, and I agree that posting less really does make you care less about the superficial stuff other people are posting. Though I still get pulled in by news-related social media, and then stuck in the infinite scroll of it all… especially when I’m tired!

If you’ve got any more tips on how you achieved this, and how you sustain it, I’m sure others would love to hear them too! :smile:

I’ve also been off Facebook for a long time. More of an issue has been Twitter, because there are people who write genuinely useful and interesting tweets.

A solution which has allowed me to not get sucked in: Putting the best parts of Twitter into my RSS aggregator using twitrss.me. Now, the urge to go to the site has subsided. Only every few weeks do I see the need to go on Twitter directly and answer a tweet which I found via RSS.

And as if I hadn’t already given enough words to my excitement about iOS 11 and macOS 10.13, these do indeed feature a sanity mode for browsing news sites. It’s called “Automatically use Reader” and I have it enabled for every site by default. No cruft, no ads, no “other interesting stories”, no share buttons.

I left all social media seven years ago. Couldn’t be more satisfied with my choice. It made me much more relaxed and focused. I don’t feel that i miss out in any way.

I have a lot more friends now when i have left social media :smiley: