Funding Page Feedback

Hi,

https://ind.ie/fund/ says nothing but

Sorry, you are currently offline.
You must be online for the funding page to work.

…unless I allow script from checkout.stripe.com, then things seem fine (–> the page loads)

But I’m not sure what allowing script from checkout.stripe.com does to me in regrads of beeing tracked?

The error message is dodgy, but no, it won’t work without the Stripe checkout.

We chose Stripe as the best of the payments bunch. Stripe’s privacy policy is less than ideal, but we don’t have the resources to roll our own, secure solution. (Note: Stripe seems to offer a geo-specific privacy policy.)

I can tell you that the information that’s offered to us on the back-end is very minimal. We don’t have access to anyone’s full payment information.

However, if anyone is happier doing a direct bank transfer, we have had other patrons and donors fund us in that way.

Sorry to hijack your topic. But are you open to support Liberapay? I’ve pledges some donation there if you are open for it: https://liberapay.com/on/mastodon/indie@mastodon.social

Hey Laura,
I see that you need to allow it in order to have this “donation block” in the upper part of the side, but are you aware that - with default security -> no externl resources allowed" - what I quoted above is ALL of the Page?!

Couldn’t you maybe craft the page in a way that the other info (like “Other ways of supporting us” ) is still given? - Thats just static text, isn’t it?
I’m afraid you might loose poeple willing to fund you (after all, they clicked on “Fund us”, and then got nothing but an error). You probably could check if that is the case from your logs, right?

We just don’t have the time to integrate another payment solution right now. But we’ll bear it in mind, thank you! :heart:

Yes, we should! I’ll add this as an issue and we’ll work on it. We are planning on doing a complete rework of the site soon.

Just a litte heads-up here: it’s still like discribed aboce.

Also I noticed that both of those buttons link to the same target (said https://ind.ie/fund/ ), not sure if this is inteded.

No pressure, just letting you know!

Keep up your great work!
~Joachim

I redesigned the funding page a while back, we just need to deploy it (that particular system is a bit of a pain right now.)

They do link to the same place. If I wanted to do something clever, I’d link it to preselecting the type of donation/patronage in the form. I’ll look into it :smile:

OK, hope you get things working!

Do lt me know if you want me to look at something (e.g. the new design on the stagign-system) and give further feedback!

Another idea for offering an additional easy funding option, without the need of external services:
Could you just provide SEPA-Details (IBAN + BIC) of your bank-account?

-> So everyone (in the SEPA-area => ~all of Europe) could just use their bank-account for single or regular donations towards you!

That’s a good idea!

We’re still in the process of setting up our Irish business, but I’ll see if I can get this set up when we’ve got a Euro-based bank account up-and-running. (Worth checking with the accountant if they think this is ok!) Nobody wants to be sending money to us in GBP right now. sighs at British government

Very well! I guess you also care for ethical banking? Triodos might be an idea (triodos.com); Dutch, but operating in other parts of Euro (e.G. Germany) as well, I don’t know about Ireland.

In general, there’s the “The Global Alliance for Banking on Values” ( http://www.gabv.org/ ), but as far as I could tell, it doesn’t have an Irish member, either.

Then again, there’s the EU, there’s SEPA -> it’s probably not too hard to get an (additional) Dutch, German, Spanish… bank account.

For acceptation donations, it wouldn’t even have to be full-fledged - a “Tagesgeldkonto” (=German maybe ~‘savings account’?) would do.

All you want is:

1. Have an IBAN + BIC

2. Accept transfers (SEPA) from anyone

3. don’t accept debit from anyone

4. Have means to transfer the funds to a reference account (-> your regular Irish bank account).

Notes:

1. Sorry in case I’m going to far – it’s always a little hard from me to find the line between “offering my help and knowledge/ideas” and “pushing my agenda”. But let it be said that I do care for ethical banking and have some (very German-centric) knowledge on that! ( Ya’ll do ask if I can be of help! )

2. My idea about banking is also very German-centric and from a private person view… I don’t know how those things transfer

• a. To a Business
  • b… Through language and
  • c. To different ways of doing banking (e.g. as far as I know in the US, it’s still quite common to pay via cheque – in Germany, this isn’t a thing at all anymore (my father would sometimes pay with a cheque, but that was ~ 20 Years ago)

Ethical Banking