Fastmail - Alternative for email

About Fastmail, does it support snoozing your mail? That’s basically the only feature I want from my mail client. For me, an empty inbox is a happy inbox and it’s the only thing keeping me in Gmail (using their Inbox client).

@alchemy Unfortunately no. The service was not available for almost a week while they were under DDoS attacks… :frowning:

It is interesting to observe recent news stories that posit that malicious agents attempting to extort others by DDoS are concerned that they will not get paid if they are viewed at not being good for their promise (not trustworthy) that the attack will end when the ransom is paid. It makes sense that their business model of extortion is harmed if they cannot deliver by ending the attack. If there is no trust that the attack can be ended then there is no logic in paying the extortionist. This works against the malicious party.

Trust in the case of extortion is a critical part of the scam.

It would appear that the second party in the case of Proton Mail did some damage to the idea of the trusted malicious party. It would seem that if the original extorting malicious party loses control of the attack then the rationale for payment vanishes.

In other words if the injured party says, “I will not pay you unless you prove you are the one in control of the attack.” At that point, the extorting party cannot prove that they can halt the attack and they would not get paid.

It is a bit twisted but in a way, the sustained DDoS at Proton Mail weakens the likelihood of payment to malicious parties in the future.

Could it be that competition/disagreement among malicious parties using DDoS threats are sabotaging competitors to drive out competition or exact a payback?

I wonder if there could be such a concept as white hat DDoS agents that so sabotage the efforts/control of the extorting DDoS agents that the wholesale loss of trust ruins the effectiveness of the extortion?

Seems Fastmail has been attacked (Nov 8) as well but says they did not pay.

+1 (pun intended) for FastMail. Excellent integration of email, calendar and contacts (I have an Android phone). I don’t use the mobile app, just integration with native apps. I pay $40 USD per year for Enhanced Personal account, very much worth it: https://www.fastmail.com/signup/personal.html

Hmm, they’re actually pretty cheap too. Will definitely look into this :slightly_smiling:

Do you know if you can link up a catch-all for extra domains as well? Planning on using a private email address on my domain and put in catch-alls for every other address for that domain and other domains.

I think so:

Also, really cool is that you can set up subdomain addressing:

This means that every list you sign up for can have its own email address eg indie@username.fastmail.fm, so that you find out where the spam is coming from.

Recently an ISP (FIOS) and wireless vendor (Verizon Wireless), announced to their ISP FIOS customers that they were discontinuing email support in 30 days. Customers were given two choices: 1. Nearly seamlessly transfer your email et al history to AOL mail OR 2. Manually move your email, contacts and calendar(s) to whatever new email provider you choose by May 4th. No reduction in costs offered.

I am spending several hundred dollars a month between ISP, Cable television and wireless phone support and this has REALLY REALLY REALLY angered me. I also own some of their stock. They pay a nice dividend but the stock has NOT been doing well lately. Verizon owns AOL and they could have simply contracted management of email services with their subsidiary if this is what they wanted but there is more to it as I see it.

So, I looked around the world for an independent privacy sensitive email provider such as Fastmail. In the end I did not choose Fastmail but they were clearly a contender. Here is an interesting site:

https://thatoneprivacysite.net/email-section/

One of the issues I considered was IMAP or POP. IMAP has compelling features but I have always used POP. I download my email to multiple devices and always BCC my emails to myself. I never delete email on any device but do flush email on the pop server after 30 days. This gives every device a copy of every email I send from any device. Lots of email for sure but memory is cheap and now I have multiple copies of email on various devices that I control. Were I to have IMAP I would have the additional task of manually transferring all that data to a new provider.

So I am now paying for email service but I have some control over it. Verizon is a large ISP and I expect other ISPs will be duplicating this practice of offloading email and then monetizing it with a subsidiary - since AOL is a subsidiary of Verizon that can be sold off some day or taken through bankruptcy to sell the user data for dollars.

Since Verizon is also the owner of Yahoo these days and the US FCC has now cleared the way for ISPs to sell browsing history data, I expect something similar is in the works for moving the browsing history data to Yahoo one day soon.

I wait with interest to see if SpaceX / TESLA is successful with a low earth orbit ISP service that offers global competition to many/all internet services.

Thank you, this is really useful and it’s fascinating to hear about your experience.

This is really useful, cheers! Just wish the detailed information was laid out in a more accessible way!

Completely agree with @laura and @aral that FastMail is pretty awesome. Started using it due to your recommendation here and haven’t regretted it since. :slight_smile:

I also tried Protonmail as some recommended it in this threat a while ago. However, I feel that the Protonmail team acts rather shady off late. For instance the Protonmail team passed on info to the authorities before receiving a court order. When defending this decision, it becomes clear that they believe they are better qualified to replace our legal system.

Also Protonmail team hacked a phishing site (which I wouldn’t judge to harshly). What I do judge is they later lied about this tweeting the critical article about it was ‘based upon unsubstantiated rumors’.

This kind of behaviour is just not something I would expect from a privacy-focused service, and I would think twice to trust them with my personal info. So sticking with FastMail, hope they never turn evil. :slight_smile:

Even cooler is that you can set up an email address like this:

hi@indie.yourdomain.com

this way, email address isn’t tied to fastmail.

The benefit of email is how interoperable it is. At least if you perceive a provider as no longer trustworthy, you can switch. (Though that may not protect older emails that aren’t end-to-end encrypted!)