Farewell, not goodbye: leaving DiEM25 (or “We need to talk about democracy, transparency, feminism, and Assange.”)

This is not a post I ever wanted to write but it’s time to tie up loose ends before starting the new year. I’ve left DiEM25 and I’d like to explain to you why that is and what I hope DiEM will do differently in the future if it is to realise its tremendous potential to be a force for good in the world.

https://ar.al/notes/farewell-not-goodbye/

Huh, this was a short encounter, then, right?

I admit, I didn’t follow the link yet - on the other hand, I haven’t gotten into finding out about what “DiEM25” even is, back when you announced you had joined them.

I hope you manage to keep the people you want in your life who are still a part of DiEM25.

POSSE, somehow this one escaped me, nice, I will be using it from now on.

Cheers,
JCZ

Lots of interesting things about POSSE Publish (on your) Own Site, Syndicate Elsewhere, I’ve started building a Metalsmith static site blog template called Groundwork, aiming to be POSSE enabled out of the box. indiewebify.me is a good place to start

I found your post informative. I once was deeply hurt after years of work when a morally valiant organization collapsed into a fatal cult of personality where open debate became forbidden even as it was praised in public. There is something inside us that sees the problem (a bit of a moral compass, a bit of telltale hesitation) but hopes that self-correction will occur but it rarely does. The fault is in ourselves - a kind of faulty mixing of faithfulness and loyality. It took me almost 2 years to leave and when I did, I had to blame it on my own weaknesses. It was the right thing to do but I did it in a cowardly way - but as best I could. My life took years to correct but the price of those that remained was far more.

Reading this from my own experience, I think this is a wonderful, honest service to this movement but it is very likely to be goodbye. I hope I am wrong.

Thanks for posting this. Your honesty is important.