Better vs others

Hi,

I would like to know what the difference between “better” and other alternatives is. For instance, what is the difference to e.g. adguard with (fanboy) annoyances filter, social media filter and spyware filter, or the difference to little snitch with an adfilter?

Edit: on a side note. Please add a checkmark that let’s the user enable/disable ads in general. Therefore, one can decide if he wants to see ads that do not track and no ads in general.

Better is unique in that it’s build by an small (Aral and Laura) indie business run from Malmö, Sweden. It’s open source, the block lists doesn’t block ethical designed networks and it’s just for iOS and macOS’s Safari.

Without sounding disrespectful, but this means there is absolutely no difference. (Better being build by a an indie business run from Sweden is absolutely no selling point). The only difference being that it unblocks ads that do not track.

Thanks @jelle! :grin:

Hi @kajover.

The primary difference is that Better has different aims. Unlike AdGuard, we are not focused on blocking ads, we are focused on blocking tracking. Although 99.99999% of ads on the web involve tracking, as they are behavioural ads.

We do allow ethical ads that do not track you, as they are a legitimate way to build a sustainable business. Unlike other ad blockers, we block all ads that track you, we do not have any “acceptable ads” where corporations can pay the ad blocker to be whitelisted.

Compared specifically to AdGuard and Little Snitch, Better functions differently because it doesn’t work on the network level, it works on the browser level. Better is not a firewall, it blocks inside Safari. Unlike Little Snitch, you do not need to do any configuration. We maintain and regularly update our own blocking rules to keep you protected. (Little Snitch works great the way it does as it gives you an added insight to network connections, @aral and I both use Little Snitch alongside Better.)

And of course, as @jelle said, we are tiny, independent and everything we build is free (as in freedom) and open :slight_smile:

I hope that answers your question!

On the contrary, the people behind a product, and their goals, should be everything when it comes to your privacy.

We are building a sustainable business based on selling our product, so we will not monetise your browsing information as so many ad blockers do. We have ethical principles behind what we do, so we will not allow a select few corporations invade your privacy in return for cash, funding, or sponsorship. Those principles mean we will not allow another organisation to buy us out, as that too could compromise our business model.

We build our products in a way that we cannot possibly collect information about you, so you do not need to trust us. We make our products free and open so that can see that our code is trustworthy, and that if you want, you could use our code to build your own blocker that you do trust.

We don’t just want to hide annoying ads, we want to protect your privacy. That’s what makes Better different.

It would be really nice if there was a comparison table on the home page or somewhere, as this is a question that I think a lot of users struggle with. I still don’t know how to compare / recommend the difference between 1Blocker and Better - besides they both seem nifty and great.

I’m looking into doing some kind of comparison table for the future. In fact, if anyone has any suggestions for what they would want to compare, let me know!

The main difference between Better and 1blocker is that we focus on a curated block list to prevent you from being tracked. We also have lists of the trackers that we block (and the sites that use them) easily accessible from the app or our site so you can learn more about how many of the sites are trying to track you, and what they do with the information about you.

I am using uBlock { https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock } and Privacy Badger { https://www.eff.org/privacybadger } add-ons in Firefox on my linux machines.