after update I cannot start Better, it flashes a few times in status bar and then disappears. Restarting doesn’t help. I think the app it 100% broken at the moment for me!
Hi @Raaphorst, thanks for letting us know. I’m sorry Better is crashing. We’ve had a few other people report this issue on El Capitan, and we think we know what the problem is. Do you possibly have a crash report you can share with us so we can narrow it down?
not sure how I can make a crash report in this cash. better doesn’t seem to crash, it is not able to run.
Ah ok. No worries, we’ve got a few reports all showing the same problem right now, so we’re fairly sure of the issue.
I’m also having this issue on El Capitan (10.11.6) after updating Better.
As a new forum user though it won’t allow me to upload the crash report or even send you a message @laura
Hi @tom, sorry about the forum restrictions. You should be able to upload a crash report/send me a message now. I’ve also updated the restrictions for newly-signed-up people.
We’re working on a fix for the El Capitan issue, and we’re pretty sure we know of the cause.
Out of curiosity, I’d be interested to know why folks are still using El Capitan, and haven’t upgraded to Sierra, High Sierra, or Mojave?
We are currently working on how far back to support old releases, and don’t want to leave folks behind for no reason! El Capitan is the oldest release we can support with content blockers, so there’s not a way for us to support releases prior to El Capitan anyway.
Since I am doing music with dedicated soundcard, it can be tricky to upgrade. I have to wait for a while. But I guess I can soon upgrade to the latest OSX version after all troubles are solved.
On my oldest Mac it appears for seconds in the menu bar, then it disappears.
Opening Safari preferences the app tells me – in Italian – that it does not have the privileges to read or transmit contents from any web page…
Is this Mac running El Capitan? We’ll have this fixed in the next update (Aral is currently working on it. Due to the slowness of the Apple approval process, we have to bundle a few things into the next update.)
That’s by design. We don’t want to read or transmit your browsing content, we don’t want to see it at all, or want you to have to trust us! If you use any extensions that say otherwise, you should be suspicious of them!
Yes! I have two old machines running it … I’ll wait for an update!
As for the error message. I think it’s a bit equivocal since it has made me thing it was not working at all. Your explanation is way more clear and effective.
Hi, Still waiting… When can we expect the El Capitan fix?
We are aiming to get the new release (with the El Capitan fix) out this week. It is unlikely to be next week as we have to go to the UK for a funeral, but at the latest it will be the following week.
Sorry again, and thank you for your patience.
Hi Laura, Version 2018.2 fixed the El Capitan crash. Thank you!
Yes, thanks Ind.ie! One of my Mac artifacts is a (2011) Mac Mini. The MM has 16gb RAM, SSD + physical drive, etc. It’s maxed out other than the CPU (this was from the days where everything wasn’t soldered down the the board). It works fine, but there’s no real use to go past El Cap with this box (I’m not gaining anything from a newer Mac OS).
Better now seems to be working fine on this old El Cap Box. Tell Osky thank-you.
Sorry I didn’t let you folks know about this at the time. Aral rushed to get this update out before we left for the funeral, and I was so caught up that I didn’t have time to post.
So yes! Hooray! We finally have a fix for El Capitan, and updating to Better Blocker 2018.2 should work for everyone. Please tell me if this is not the case.
We are reviewing how many old OSs we will support back to. Because it was really difficult to get El Capitan running on a newer machine. (We’re not wealthy enough to have multiple dev machines!) So I would really recommend everyone who can upgrade to the latest OS to do so (primarily for security reasons), and if you can’t, please let us know why, so we can factor these reasons into our support decisions.
one reason for not upgrading for me using DAW recording software: often issues with newer OS. and the need to upgrade some expensive software just to make it compatible with the newer OS.