Better is not intrusive

I just downloaded and installed the updated Pocket extension for Safari.

Viewing it, and the Safari extensions for 1Password, Better, AdGuard, and Save to Pocket, I see that all except Better and AdGuard note:

Webpage contents:
Can read sensitive information from webpages, including passwords, phone numbers, and credit cards on…
all webpages.

I find that deeply troublesome. Do others or am I being paranoid? Or is this simply some sort of legal disclaimer Apple requires?

Many thanks; first post.

1 Like

Yes, that means other extensions are able to read and edit your webpages. (It doesn’t necessarily mean that they do, but even if they do not do so now, they may do so in the future.)

For some functionality, like older password managers, they need this to be able to enter passwords in on your behalf. But Apple is trying to stop this from being the case, which is why they’ve significantly limited the capabilities of extensions recently.

We take advantage of Apple’s content blocking functionality, which enables us to pass our set of rules on to Safari without seeing/changing the webpages you browse. It’s good to be cautious of extensions that have more access to your information (it’s certainly not paranoid!) and where possible, find more privacy-respecting alternatives.

Hope this helps!

Laura

1 Like

Thank you very much Laura.
I am going to take a very hard look at what any extensions I plan to install have access to.
I trust Better and I trust 1Password.

1 Like

Paranoid? Try Charles Proxy for iOS (App Store or from their site). A little pricey, but interesting.